JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES BILLING COORDINATOR
1. Processes Medicare claims timely, in accordance with instructions from third party payers.
• Verifies medicare eligibility for Part A services.
• Processes MSP claims monthly within 30 days of primary payments or denial. Claims are completed per HCFA requirements.
• Processes adjustment bills previously billed to Medicare when corrections are received from each branch. These should be cleared monthly.
• Posts Medicare payments weekly as downloaded through EDI system.
• Reconciles totals of branches with pay list total.
• Adds MSP claims billed to the Medicare Exception Report monthly. Posts pay- ments or denials from Medicare pay lists.
• Indicates all denials or adjustments made by the intermediary with explanation and action taken.
- Processes hospice physician billing ensuring that physician coding is accurate per Medicare guidelines and regulations.
2. Maintains complete and accurate patient billing files.
• Files patient billing records in an orderly manner. Files should be easily accessible as needed.
•Ensures that files are complete.
3. Maintains orderly files on remittances
• Checks information on the remittance against the billing logs or billing reports. Notes discrepancies and takes follow-up action.
• Maintains orderly files on remittances.
4. Communicates with the location offices through Executive Directors/Patient Care Coordinators and with the Billing Manager regarding late or missing documents required for billing.
• Prepares lists of missing or incomplete billing information monthly. Verifies the absence of documents prior to the distribution of the list.
• Informs the Billing Manager of recurring problems with late or incomplete documents.
• Shows good communication skills in working with location offices.
5. Performs other specific projects related to billing as required.
• Prepares schedules or documentation requested by Billing Manager.
• Checks logs and billing reports every six months for unbilled and unpaid claims. Rebills as needed.